BuddyBuild for VS 2005

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM
hi MJ, this is Pritam here.
I want to know tht is buddy build available for VS 2005 and TFS 2005?
Also, I would like to contribute for Software factory and DB PRO. Can I join for the same?

Regards,
Pritam
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2009 at 7:58 PM
Unfortunately, the Pre-checkin Validation Tool is not available for VS/TFS 2005. TFS 2005 lacks many of the features that can make this tool useful, namely the ability to queue builds, the ability to queue a build against a different build agemt (which allowed us to implement the load balancing feature in the tool), and the ability to work with the build environment via an object model.
Feb 2, 2009 at 1:08 PM
Thanks a lot for your reply. Now if in current scenario I have VS 2005 only then what could be the best way to protect any wrong check-in in TFS?
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2009 at 6:31 AM
For TFS 2005, you could try and do something similar to the buddy build tool by creating a front end (e.g. a VS 2005 add-in) that allows you to pick the shelveset(s) and send them to a middle tier application (say a web service, for example) that would initiate a build against Team Build 2005. Note however that Team Build 2005 does not expose an object model to program against, so you will have to either call the executable or the web method. Note also that you cannot pass MSBuild parameters to Team Build 2005. You will have to pass the MSBuild properties to Team Build by saving them to the TFSBuild.rsp file. So, your middle tier process has to make the changes to the .rsp file to pass some properties (e.g. the shelveset names) andthen kick off Team Build so that once the TFSBuild.proj script kicks, you can use target overriding or injection to unshelve the shelvesets after performing a Get.