Preserve pending changes until successful check-in by Buddy Build.

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:10 PM
Is it possible to undo pending changes only after successful check-ins of a shelveset? Currently the option which exists undo the pending changes after creating the shelveset. We would like to preserve pending changes until successful check-in by Buddy Build.
Is it possible to implement? 

Thank you.
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2009 at 9:19 PM
If you do not get a successful check-in, then the shelved changes will not be destroyed even if you select the "Delete shelveset(s) on successful check-in" checkbox. So, you can still unshelve them from the automatically created shelveset. It will be the last-created shelveset owned by you and whose name starts with "BB.". Once you unshelve this shelveset into your workspace, you get back any changes that you chose to shelve earlier.
Jan 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM
Thanks for your reply. I know that we can get the changes back that way. But was just curious to see if it is possible to undo pending changes only after successful check-ins of shelveset. Is it possible?
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2009 at 3:37 PM
Unfortunately, this is not possible in the current implementation. The reason is that we undo the local pending changes upon shelving, and then we send the request to queue a build to Team Build. After this, the VS client is disconnected from the build process and we will not know whether or not the build succeeded or the checkin made it through in order to clean up the workspace. Besides, even if that was to be implemented, it would be a risky thing to do. Imagine yourslef queuing a buddy build that takes probably one hour and then you go about doing other work in your local workspace. Then imagine the build going through and the local changes in your workspace getting undone. That would be risky as it can affect what you are doing at the moment and maybe pull the rug from underneath you. Hope this helps.
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2009 at 10:16 PM
I've added a feature request work item to track your request:
http://www.codeplex.com/BuddyBuild/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=1471

I'll have to think of an easy way to implement this, and if it gets enough votes, I might end up implementing it sooner rather than later...
Jan 30, 2009 at 8:07 PM
Thank you. I hope that it gets enough votes.